1How to make a complaint?

Visit the Grievance Redressal Officer of the Insurance company and submit all relevant documents along with a written complaint. Take acknowledgement with the date mentioned. The Insurance Company is required to revert to you in 15 Days.

2What to do if you do not get the required response or are unhappy with the response of your Insurance company?

You can call on IRDA helpline or write to IRDA. You can also make use of Integrated Grievance Management System (IGMS)

3Who is Insurance Ombudsman?

Insurance Ombudsman helps you get resolution of your grievance out of court in a cost effective manner.

4When to approach the Insurance Ombudsman?

If your Insurance company has not responded to your grievance or you are unhappy with the response, then you can file the grievance with Insurance Ombudsman. Please note that the claim amount should be less than 30 Lacs.

5What is the role of Consumer Court?

If you are still unhappy with the response or there is no response from your Insurance company or IRDA grievance cell or Ombudsman, you can seek resolution by filing the case with the consumer court.

Consumer courts are three tier structure

a) if the value of the claim is less than 20 lakhs, case can be filed in district forum.

b) If the value of the claim is more than 20 lakhs but less than one crore, case can be filed in State Consumer Dispute Redressal Forum (Delhi).

c) if the value of the claim is more than one crore, case should be filed in National Commission.